Unit History

The 1/92nd Field Artillery
Association - Vietnam



Part I
October 1933
to October 1944

The 92d Field Artillery and The 92d Armored Field Artillery Battalion The "92d" first came into being 1 October 1933 as an inactive unit of the Regular Army and was called the 92d Field Artillery. Eight years later, on 1 January 1942, it was redesignated the 92d Armored Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 2d Armored Division.

On 8 January 1942 it was activated at Fort Benning, Georgia. A 105mm outfit (Self-Propelled), the 92d, as part of the 2d Armored Division, trained for almost a year and participated in the Louisiana and North Carolina maneuvers. In December 1942 the 92d embarked to rejoin elements of the 21 Armored Division near Rabat, French Morocco.

They landed at Casablanca on 24 December 1942, In the Spring of 1943, the 92d Armored Field Artillery Battalion moved to the vicinity of Oran and prepared to take part in the Sicilian invasion, Because resistance collapsed so rapidly, the 92d remained in Africa training and sending rnembers as observers with U.S. and British forces fighting to the north and east. November 1943 the 92d embarked at Oran bound for England.

Arriving in England on the day before Thanksgiving, the battalion was re-equipped and began intensive training. It was apparent that the battalion was being primed for something big. June 6, 1944 was D-Day for the invasion of Normandy The Battalion embarked from Southampton, England aboard LCIs, before dawn 10 June 1944, and arrived off Vierville-sur-Mer, Normandy, France, before dark the same day.

Landing was made on "Omaha Beach" the morning of 11 June 1944 and the Battalion marched to bivouac in vicinity of Le Vase, There was one casualty sustained during the operation, and an EN was slightly wounded by flak during an enemy air-raid on the night of 10 June. For the remainder of June, the unit occupied two successive bivouacs, assembling separately-shipped detachments, preparing equipment for operations, and receiving replacements. The lanyard was pulled and the first round was fired at the enemy on 1 July 1944 at Cahagnelles, France.

The following is excerpted from documents prepared by:
Major William J. Bowers, Jr.,
LTC William R. Buster, and
Major Henry W. Tarbett

On the night of 5 July 1944, the Battalion directly supported the 50th British Brigade on a reconnaissance in force (Raid Panther which was successful in destroying enemy installations in the vicinity of St. Germain d'Ectot. The Battalion directly supported the 50th Brigade again on July 7th and 8th in an attack in the vicinity of St. Germain d'Ectot. On the morning of 8 July, the Battalion's fire was directly responsible for breaking up a local counter-attack. It destroyed four Mark IV Tanks. A later reconnaissance also found 80 dead Germans From 1-16 July the Battalion fired harassing, interdiction and general support missions. On 15 July Tec 5 Gammon and PFC Kittner were killed by counter-battery.

The Battalion was relieved by a British Unit and moved to an assembly area for rest and reorganization. 17 July the Battalion traveled to 1 1/2 mile east of LaMine, France to assemble for contemplated break through The morning of 20 July the Battalion moved into another assembly area in preparation for operation "Cobra." Tec 5 Sullens was killed 23 July by enemy bombing. Ogeration "Cobra" started 25 July with the Battalion in general support of Command Company "A" initially, and reinforcing the fires of the 14th P.A. Battalion. The St. I o breakthrough saw the 92d A.F.A. Battalion taking a major role, Between 25 and 30 July 1944, in its first month of combat, the Battalion performed its mission with such gallantry and brilliance it received the Presidential Unit Citation.

On 27 July the Battalion was placed in general support of Command Company "B," and re-enforcing the fires of the 78th A.F.A. Battalion, The Battalion moved under the cover of darkness. The morning of 28 July the Battalion moved again in support of CC "B." The Battalion reverted to direct support of Division Reserve on the morning of 29 July, and followed Division Reserve. At this position the Division Reserve withstood a counter-attack, broken up . mainly as a result of the 92d's fire. The Battalion was withdrawn on the afternoon of 30 July and moved to an assembly area for rest and reorganisation PVT Nelson died of wounds 30 July 1944.

During August 1944 the 92d aided in the defeat of the German Army in France. CPT Calhoun was KIA 31 August at Bresles. The morning of 1 September 1944 the Battalion moved from the vicinity of Seins, France, crossed the Somme River at Escosler, France and closed into Combles, France. From there they went to Aix, France. They stayed in this position until the morning of 6 September using the time for maintenance and rest. The morning of 6 September, in support of Division Reserve, they moved to the vicinity of Dion-le-vale, Belgium, and remained there because of a fuel shortage. The time was used for maintenance and cleanup.

On the morning of 8 September, in general support of Division, the Battalion moved to position northeast of Rummen, Belgium, On 9 September the Battalion, remaining in same position, reverted to direct support of Division Reserve with the mission to protect the rear of the Division from possible attack or break-through by elements of Germans. On the morning of 12 September the Battalion moved to Rossmeer Belgium, to create a feint to distract the enemy's attention from an attack to be made by Command Company "A" across the Albert Canal, north of Hasselt Belgium. Later in the day the mission was changed to direct support of Command Company "A", and the Battalion moved to the vicinity of Eyck, Belgium. The Battalion remained in this position, firing missions as called for by the observers and higher headguarters.

On 15 September, under control of Division Artillery, the Battalion moved back to the vicinity of Rosmeer, Belgium, and crossed the Albert Canal in the vicinity of Cannes, Belgium, passing through Maastricht Holland, crossing the Meuse River and west into position on the outskirts of Nasstricht, Holland at Scharn, Holland. The afternoon of 17 September the Battalion, continuing in support of Task Force #1 CC "B," moved into position at St. Qorlach, Holland, While in this position the Battalion fired missions called for by observers and higher headguarters. The morning of 18 September the Battalion continued in support of Task Force #1 CC "B," moved and went into position at Gnesel, Holland.

The Battalion fired its first round on German soil from this position. The morning of 19 September the Battalion, in direct support of the 57th Armored Regiment and 41st Armored Infantry, moved to the vicinity of Bingelrade, Holland, firing on targets called for by observers.

On 30 September the Battalion crossed into Germany and went into position one mile northwest of Grotenrath, Germany, with the mission to fire on anti-Aircraft-Gun positions during the break- through of the Siegfried Line and reinforce fires of the 30th Infantry Division.

To World War II - Part II - >


| Home | History | Maps | Stories | Links | The Gun | Honor Roll | Postings | Reunions | Contact |

© Copyright 2013 - 1/92nd Field Artillery Association
All rights under copyright are reserved.
A Not for Profit Organization

Comments or questions to